Sunday, September 22, 2013

Subconscious




Delirium.

I never asked if you can drive a bicycle, but in this dream you were riding one. I was standing in your way and you stopped, handing me a red hand-made greeting card. It was surprising because I know you are not a card person. It was the first card that you ever gave me, even in dreams.

I opened the card and saw pictures of me glued artistically on the left leaf. It was flattering that you printed the photos from my social networking accounts. That was very sweet, sentimental, resourceful, and even then, I knew I was just dreaming.

On the right leaf was a message, telling me that it is not true that I mean nothing to you. That I am someone really valuable and you can’t afford to lose. You asked me to stay by your side.

But there is a whole world of difference between being valued and being loved…

In the same card you also wrote a warning about the men around me. You said that though they may all seem to be good and nice on the surface, in truth, they all just wanted to take advantage of my kindness. “I promise to protect you from them,” you said.

But were you able to protect me from yourself?

And then there was another card. I could sense that you were hesitant but you gave it anyway. It was a wedding invitation. You’re marrying some woman I haven’t met.

Now I can finally let go of you.

The dream shifted and I was sitting on a pew on your wedding day. I watched her walk with grace down the aisle, her loving smile directed to you.


I woke up just before the part when you’re supposed to say “I do.”


A response to Readwave Writing Challenge: Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment